The way they were

Story writing class: Sunday at 7am PST
at the end you can read the story before corrections

Stephen had been living in a retirement home for many years.
His wife had been dead for many years, they had not had children, so no one was ever visiting him.
One night he dreamed of his wedding day, which had been many many years before.
The next morning, a nurse brought him his breakfast. Stephen had never seen her before, but at the same time, she felt strangely familiar.

Stephen asked her "Do you know me?"

She went next to him, surprised by that question. "No...no...I'm sorry" -she replied with a kind smile- "I'm Christine, it's my first day here."

He started the interview, Stephen asked her a couple of questions. One of them was, "Have you ever  worked at the library?" She answered, "Yes, 3 years ago." And she told him about how she served a customer. Stephen family had a bookstore a long time ago.

Christine said: "And my twin sister worked at 'Stephen bookstore'. Stephen bookstore is a famous bookstore in my town. We love books."

He suddenly realized: "Oh yes, of course... I was sure that I had seen your beautiful smile before! And tell me, how is your sister? I'm sorry, I don't remember her name..." He said, embarrassed.

She said: "My twin sister? Christina is fine. She said she got a boyfriend. She seems very happy."

"Christine and Christina!" -Stephen loudly laughed hearing the name of the other lady- "Your parents didn't have much imagination." He was very amused. But then, he stopped laughing and started to breathe with difficulty.

Stephen finished the interview. Before she stood up, he asked her a question that was a little bit personal, "When your sister quit, she seemed sad. Do you know what happened?"
She shook her head, meaning that she didn't know.

Christine sighed, and said: "Stephen, have you really forgotten my twin sister? Try to remember please. And what is your wife's name?"

Stephen's face became blank. He tried to remember the name of his wife but nothing came to his mind, like there was a cloud hiding the image of the memories.

He said, sadly: "I'm sorry, I don't remember." 
Christine smiled at him and said: "Don't worry, it's enough for today. Please relax and don't forget to take your medicines. I will come again tomorrow. Goodnight."
She left on the table two pills and quietly went out from the room.

When finally Stephen was alone, he giggled again, thinking about that strange couple of twins with almost the same name, and the happy years that he had spent working in the book shop with his wife and Christina. He sighed melancholically while a tear fell off his right eye, and closing his eyes he fell asleep.

****************************************
BEFORE CORRECTIONS

Stephen had been living in a retirement home for many years.
His wife had been dead for many years, they had not had children, so no one was ever visiting him.
One night he dreamed of his wedding day, which had been many many years before.
The next morning, a nurse brought him his breakfast. Stephen had never seen her before, but at the same time, she felt strangely familiar.

Stephen asks to her "Do you know me?"

She came next to him surprised to that question. "No...no...I'm sorry" she replied with a kind smile "I'm Christine, it's my first day here"

They started the interview, Stephen was asking her a couple answers. One of them was, "Did you have work at the library?" She answered, "Yes 3 years ago and she told him about how she served a customer. Stephen family opened the bookshoop for long ago.

Christine said : "And my twin sister is working at 'Stephen bookshop'.
Stephen bookshop is famous book store in my town" We love book."

He suddently realized "Oh yes of course....I was sure that I saw your beautiful smile before! And tell me...how is your sister? I'm sorry I don't remember her name..." He said, embarrassed.

She said : "My twin sister? Christina is fine. She said she got boyfriend. She seems very happy."

"Christine and Christina!"-Stephen laudly laughed hearing the name of the other lady-"Your parents didn't have so much imagination, ahahahahaha".He was very amused. But then, he interrupt his laugh and started to breathe with difficulty.

Then Stephen finished the interview. Before she stand up, he asked a little bit personal questioned to her, "When your sister quit, she seemed sad.. Did you know what happened? She shaked her head, means she didn't know.

Christine sigh, and said : "Stephen… are you really forgot my twin sister??? Try to remember please. and what is your wife's name??"

Stephen face became blank. He tried to remember the name of his wife but nothing came to his mind like there is cloud hiding the image of the memories.

"I'm sorry I don't remember..."he said, sad. Christine smiled at him and said:"Don't worry, It's enough for today. Please relax and don't forget to take your medicines. I will come again tomorrow. Goodnight."-She left on the table two pills and quietly went out from the room.
When finally Stephen was alone, he giggled again thinking about that strange couple of twins with almost the same name and the happy years that he had spent working in the book shop with his wife and Christina. He sighed melancholy while a tear fell off his right eye and closing his eyes he fell asleep.

No comments: