Ordinary Day

                                ESL Group Story Writing Class March 6, 2011
                                                       

It started out as any other ordinary day in the city. The sound of the sanitation truck and the honking of car horns woke me up.

I crawled out of bed and slipped on an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I yawned and proceeded downstairs to make a quick breakfast before leaving for work.

I was so sleepy even though I had gone to sleep very early. I had felt there would be something strange that day.  I left home and started to walk to the bus station.

I was listening to music with my iPod-like device. I guess the volume was loud and I was walking following the beat of the music because I noticed there were people following me. They were walking and dancing at the same time, like in an 80's music video.

Maybe I was on T.V., I thought, because I saw some cameras in front of me. So I tried to do my best and I was dancing with the other people.

Then it dawned on me that the cameras merely traffic cameras, and not from some television show.  So, I stopped dancing, turned down the volume of my music, and kept walking towards the bus station. But the crowd of people bopping their heads to my music and following me kept growing.

I looked around and found that I was surrounded by people in every direction. As the crowd grew, I quickened my pace to escape the overwhelming sea of people. Before I knew it, I was at work, but still the people surrounded me.

It was like a crazy dream. I’ve always wanted to be a pop star. It was my dream. I stopped for a while and thought maybe I drank too much beer last night.

The boss walked to my desk, his face purple with rage: "Didn't you get the no-dancing memo?" he screamed at me. "You are fired. Take your personal effects and most of all take these people out of here.



I was afraid and didn't know what to do. I tried to understand what was happening.

In exasperation, I cupped my face in my hands and then threw them up in the air. "I surrender!" I thought to myself. It was then that I noticed that the people who were following me did the same. They cupped their faces in their hands and then threw them up, while still dancing all the while.

I was curious, so I tried various other motions. I hopped on one foot and stuck out my tongue. I giggled as everyone around me did the same. I felt like a puppet master. I began Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance, and smiled emphatically as everyone joined in this city-wide dance.

It was crazy. Everybody was starting to dance with me. I couldn’t block myself and wanted to check the people who were outside. I looked out of the window. All the people in the street were dancing with us.

I was starting to enjoy all this dancing when my phone rang. "I am the chief of police. There is a fungus that takes control of the mind of the people and turns them into dancing zombies. When the music stops they attack humans. Keep dancing and go to the arena. The police will wait there for them."

After a few hours, I was really tired. I really wanted to stop but I couldn't, so I just tried to phone the police to see what would happen.

Just as I was about to dial 911, I saw the arena just up ahead. With all of my remaining strength, I moved frantically towards the arena, with the dancing hordes right at my heels.

I was so tired, but I knew I had to keep going. I was running out of dance ideas! At this point, I had to resort to the Chicken Dance. It was all so absurd that I couldn't help but laugh as these killer zombies wiggled their bodies and flapped their arms like a chicken.

It was like there were chickens everywhere! Suddenly, I heard a ring. My mobile phone was ringing. It was my mom asking me to bring home a chicken for dinner. I couldn’t find the words to say, and I just laughed.

The arena was surrounded by police in extermination gear.  I thought they would have killed everybody, including me. Maybe they thought I was a zombie too. I froze, and all the zombies froze too. It was eerie. The police started to get close and relaxed. I never liked the cops anyway.

When a cop got close I moved quickly and I bit his head. All the other zombies did the same. So the police became zombies and started to dance with us.

The End



Alianaluz Rivere (T)
ejje Xaris (CR)
Am Luponox
oo Broono
Giovanni Tweak

No comments: