Candle in the Wing


ESL Group Story Writing Class December 5, 2010
                                                 
I could never understand why people who are given three wishes in books or in the movies never use their first wish to wish that they have an unlimited number of wishes.  That puzzled me before I found a magic wish-candle.

I wasn't really sure this was a genuine magic-wish candle. A very old man had given it to me on the street, but he didn't look like he was giving me something important. He just looked at me and said: "Take this candle. It's magic. Magic wishes, you know?"

Sometimes I hated wishing because my wishes never came true. So I didn't care about the candle, but one day the power was cut off and I used this candle.

I had always wanted to be able to fly, with a big excellent pair of wings on my back. One day when I was eating my dinner at my old table, I lit the candle and dreamed that a miracle would allow me to be able to fly one day.  After my dinner, I went to my bed and slept, and I woke up with a terrible back pain.

I thought a pair of wings had appeared on my back but actually, this back pain was from a long time ago. I thought I awoke with a miracle, but it actually was not a miracle at all. I kept staring at the candle that I put in my cupboard, when I awoke with curious thoughts in my head.  And then I realized that I had to visit the person who gave me the candle, to ask him some questions.



So I took the candle from my cupboard, wrapped it in some brown paper, and set off to find the stranger who had given it to me.  I searched high and low but could not find him. It was getting dark, so I decided to return home. Since the electricity had been turned off because I hadn't paid the bill in three months, I had to light the candle again, so that I could see where I was walking in my house.

"What are you doing, stupid?" I heard a voice yelling at me. You are burning the magic-wish candle. You should not light it up. You should stick it into your nose, breathe in deeply, jump on one leg and repeat your wish three times.

I thought that would be difficult, so I didn't want to try it. So I just continued to use it as a light but then I heard someone yelling at me again.

Then I did what he said to me I stuck it into my nose, jumped up and down on one leg, and asked for my flying wish again. Suddenly I felt a strange tingling on my back and I ran to the mirror with the candle still in my nose. I took off my shirt rushing, and looked at my back. Two wonderful silver-colored wings were starting to grow on my back.

Yes, I saw my wings growing little by little. Finally I could fly, the dream came true. Flying in the sky was my dream from childhood. Wow, was looking at a dwarf. I went down to check on it, to prove to myself that it was real. "Awesome, I'm in a dreamland!" I saw a fairy tale. How could this be? I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming or not.

"Ouch!" That pinch hurt!  Suddenly the pain from the pinch traveled from my arm (where I had pinched myself) to my back where my wings had grown. I felt the tingling sensation again, and then in a flash, my wings disappeared! I grabbed the candle, rammed it into my nose, and did everything else that the voice had told me to do. I waited, but this time, nothing happened!

I was crushed. Wings had been my dream since, like, forever. Maybe the candle was good for only one wish? I went back to look for the man.

I thought I could find that man. But it looked like that wasn't going to happen, so I went back home.  And also that strange thing happened again: I heard someone yelling again.

I was always checking for my wings. Maybe they would appear again. But they were gone. I felt disappointed and then somebody was yelling: "This is not a magic candle, stupid. The magic is in your mind."

"Don't let your heart control your head! Wake up, face reality! Suddenly that sound made me conscious and I went directly to make a cup of coffee to clear my heart and head.

One week later, I felt my back itch. I couldn't reach that point for scratching so I went to a big mirror so that could see my back.  I am sure I saw a pink scar right there where I had my wings attached in my dream.  Two days later I checked again, and it looks like they're growing back!

The End
----------------------------

PARTICIPANTS:
Alianaluz Rivera (T)
ejje Xaris (CR)
Giovanni Tweak
oo Broono
paula Olrich

No comments: