And the Prize Goes To…

                                  
                   ESL Group Story Writing Class October 10, 2010                                     
                                                                         
Last month, I visited a friend who lives near the ocean. It was the first time in my life that I had ever seen the ocean.

It was a majestic view. The day was stormy, the water was dark gray. The waves were tall and strong.  I decided to take a walk on the beach. All of a sudden I saw a giant wave coming my way. I was scared but also fascinated and I could not run away.

I went to my friend's house, and we our other friends, “Do you like swimming? "I like swimming," one said. And we went swimming.

This was my future plan, but first I needed to think about how to run away. I was in love with the sea, and the more I saw those blue waves, the more I thought "I am happy here."

I was in love with the sea, and the more I saw those blue waves, the more I thought "I am happy here." We swam a lot, my friends and I and we walked on the hot sand.

I was having such a great time that I stopped thinking about running away. I thought about running away before, when I first saw the beach and my friends, because I was frightened of such a new and different thing and I didn't think I would be able to swim.  But I was able to swim!

To move in the water and float was a beautiful sensation. I looked down and I saw a lot of fish and sea flowers.  One big fish came up to me and said: "Follow me."

It was flipper. I grabbed my surfboard and started following it. I liked surfing and big waves but the waves were too much for me, that day.

When I went the fish place, to the fish's place, I saw a lot of hungry baby fish. I thought, "Now I'm food for fish!"


The dolphin was so slippery in my hands. I embraced it and slid on the surface of the waves.
I started to feel light-headed. I was confused. One moment I was walking on the beach, the next, I was on my surf board, and the next, l was under the sea looking at a talking dolphin and a bunch of hungry fish. I knew I shouldn't have eaten seaweed salad last night, right before I went to bed.

I told myself I had to remain calm and coolheaded. Of course there would be a rational explanation and a way out. What would Obama do? He would make a speech! But as I tried to talk to the fish my mouth filled up with water.

After that, I went to my hotel room. I liked to sleep a lot because walking on the beach was so exhausting.

Now I wondered why the fish wanted to eat me. Maybe I had an answer: Everyone knew Obama wanted to get a lot of money from the oil companies for what they did in the oceans but Obama did nothing.

In the hotel, I was waiting for a big bed, a soft blanket, and a favorite book. Then I knew that I would no longer eat fish because I saw their world that day.

So I curled up and went to sleep with those thoughts still floating around in my mind.  When I awoke the next day, I had a horrible headache. My mouth was dry and salty and my eyes were full of sand.

After I cleared my vision by rubbing my eyes and wiping the sleep out of them, I saw a plate of half-eaten seaweed salad on the table next to my bed, and my favorite book, "The Audacity of Hope," by Barack Obama, was lying open, near my hand.

The phone rang. The voice said: "There is a call from Oslo for you sir." I had no idea who could it be.  A voice with a heavy accent told me that I had won the Nobel Peace Prize. I asked: "Who, me? I am no Dalai Lama, Mandela, Obama or Liu Xiaobo.”

The voice told me: "I know sir, we are very surprised too. We had not heard of you until last night when we received millions of Tweets from the fish in the sea. They all voted for you." I was very happy because the winner gets about 1.5M$. It's just what I need to buy a house on the beach and hang out with my fish friends.

PARTICIPANTS:
Alianaluz Rivera (T)
Giovanni Tweak (CR)
junai Carolina
MOSKAU Edenbaum
oo Broono
Vamigo Avindar

No comments: