Strange Moons Rising

ESL Group Story Writing Class January 24, 2010

My son and I had already walked for 5 hours that day and we still had to walk for the rest of the day. The third moon started to appear in the sky and I felt sad suddenly.  At some point my son pulled my sweater and asked me: "Where are we going dad?"

I said that we are going to climb the mountain.  My son said, "Why do you want to walk such a long way?"

What son? Do I have a son? Maybe I'm dreaming.

I could see my son was tired, hungry and thirsty and I felt terrible because I had nothing to give him. And how could I tell him the truth? We were running away from his mother who had become a zombie.



It was what I wanted to tell my son, I had problems with his mother. She pushed me to leave the house and go away. I was so angry that I decided to go for a walk and had hoped to feel calm after this walk.

I glanced back over my shoulder nervously. The road was clear behind us but the pale blue light from the two moons made the road appear to glisten.  I decided that it would be OK to allow my son to rest for a few minutes before we attempted to climb the mountain.

We chose a spot in the woods next to the road and I lit up a small fire when my son had already gone inside the sleeping sack.

I could see clearly the third moon of Uranus rising now, and something in my gut told me it wasn't a good sign, for it reminded me of the first time I saw it: almost 35 years ago. Maybe it was just a coincidence but the third moon never brings good new with her.

I had to wake up my son. I needed to wake up too. It's very bad to have a scared son, -even in a dream. Then I saw some edible plants. I knew that we had to eat, otherwise we would starve.

I put a stone in the fire and the plants on top of the stone to cook them. I was worried they could be poisonous but we had no alternative. A thick smoke rose from the plants and the cloud enveloped us. I was not hungry or thirsty anymore. I felt light, relaxed and hopeful.

I was confused at this moment. I didn't know how to get rid of my angry feeling. How could I climb the mountain in the dark night?"

What possessed me to let my son sleep on the road? Why did I let my son sleep at the roadside? "I had to find a way to solve my problems, I told myself, because when my son wakes up he will be scared of the dark.

The smoke from the burning plant began to dissipate, so I grabbed another handful of a cluster of plants that were growing near the roadside. I tossed those plants into the dying fire and immediately, the fire grew and the smoke filled my nostrils again. I felt relaxed again so I cradled my son's sleeping head in my arms and drew him close enough to the fire for the smoke to enter his lungs.

This time the smoke had a better effect on me though, I felt high and all the anxiety coming from our journey had disappeared.

This time the smoke had a better effect on me though, I felt high and all the anxiety caused by our journey had disappeared. I looked again at the third moon, peacefully, it looked like an orange. I felt hungry again like I was experiencing a sort of loop.

Suddenly, I heard a wolf howl and my son woke up with a start. We were afraid. I left right away. The fire grew bigger.

The wolf jumped on my son. I intercepted it like it was a ball in a football game and I was the goalie.  Then, like a goalie, I kicked the wolf into the fire and smoke.  The wolf inhaled the smoke and turned into my wife.  She was not a zombie anymore, she was her old self and nursed us, so we were not hungry and thirsty anymore.  And we went back home.

Alianaluz Rivera (T)
ashraf Aulder (CR)
EagleEye Scorfield
elpresidentoBarackHussein Aboma
Giovanni Tweak
oo Broono

No comments: